I love finding ways to use the nourishing bone broth I make with turkey or chicken bones, whether it's in a soup, sauce or recipe that calls for broth. Our whole family loves traditional turkey noodle soup, chicken noodle soup, and when we're sick, I love to feed my family a chicken-vegetable soup that warms their tummies and hopefully helps speed their recovery.
When we're in a spicy mood, turkey and rice soup with curry fits the bill. And this recipe for creamy turkey-rice soup? Well that's just plain comfort and SO good on a cold winter's night accompanied by a loaf of easy artisan bread or the simple French baguettes we like to call 'the bread you can't stop eating."
This recipe easily becomes creamy chicken-rice soup by using broth and meat from a chicken (yes, I like to state the obvious around here - I'm real good at that). In fact, I like to plan a meal around a spiced slow cooker whole chicken one night, make the broth in the slow cooker overnight and plan on this soup (or one of the others mentioned above) for the next night's meal. Once you have the meat off the bones and your broth cooked (all done the day before) this recipe comes together in about an hour.
Ready for some warm, comforting soup tomorrow?
Creamy Turkey-Rice Soup (or Chicken)
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 large onion chopped
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 4 to 5 carrots peeled & chopped
- 2 to 3 stalks celery chopped
- 2 potatoes peeled and chopped (optional)
- 1/3 cup flour
- 8 cups turkey or chicken broth (preferably this Easy Homemade Chicken Broth)
- 1 cup brown rice
- 3 cups cooked turkey or chicken
- 1 cups frozen peas
- 1/2 cup whole milk, half & half, or cream
- 2 to 4 teaspoons salt (more if using unsalted broth)
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- Melt butter in a large soup pot over medium heat. Add onions, garlic, carrots, celery and potatoes or turnips, if using. Cook about 5 minutes to soften the vegetables.
- Add the flour and stir to coat vegetables. Slowly pour in the stock, stirring as you do, to incorporate the flour well.
- Add rice to the broth-vegetable mixture and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to a simmer, cover and cook about 45 minutes or until rice is tender.
- Add the remaining ingredients and simmer until heated through, about 10 minutes more.
- Add salt and pepper to taste and serve.
Here are a few other soups to make with your poultry stock and meat: