Oh, you have no idea how excited I am to share this recipe for freezer Mediterranean breakfast wraps with you – it’s SO good! It’s such a fun change from Tex-Mex type breakfast burritos and as I gave them to my family to try, it was all the same reaction: “wow, these are great!”
When thinking of a recipe for our #hotforbreakfast theme this week of hot breakfast ideas when you’re in a hurry, when I thought of combining one of our favorite flavors (Mediterranean with feta, tomatoes, etc., like here, here, and here) into a wrap you can eat right away or make ahead and freeze for a hot breakfast in just a minute any time you want. And since I’m always looking for ways to use garden preserves, I added our delicious, addictive tomato chutney, though any type of tomato jam or even a few drained, canned or dried tomatoes will work, too.
Besides the good-for-you, yummy ingredients (eggs, spinach, feta or goat cheese & tomato with optional bacon or prosciutto), the other fun thing about this wrap is that it’s crisp, which I created easily with a panini maker (a recent thrift store find!). This could be replicated with a cast iron pan, as well, searing each side while pressing slightly with a spatula. Of course they are awesome right out of the pan, but cooling them a bit, wrapping in waxed paper and freezing some will allow you to grab one whenever you want for a hot breakfast on-the-go.
If all you have is a minute, that’ll get you a warm and wonderful Mediterranean breakfast wrap from a microwave, but if you have another minute, you can pop it into a toaster over to crisp it up again. Either way, I think you’ll love this as much as we do!
- 4 eggs, beaten
- ½ tsp. preferred seasoning (I used a garlic-chipotle seasoning)
- salt & pepper
- 1 Tb. water or milk
- 4 8-inch tortillas
- 4 TB. crumbled feta cheese (or goat cheese)
- 4 TB. Addictive Tomato Chutney, drained OR drained, chopped dried tomatoes or canned tomatoes
- 1 c. chopped fresh spinach leaves
- optional: cooked, crumbled bacon or chopped prosciutto
- Mix eggs with seasonings, water or milk, heat a skillet with a bit of bacon grease, butter, or coconut oil and scramble just until cooked (3-4 minutes).
- Lay out the tortillas and divide the eggs evenly among them, placing them in a line, but leaving the edges free to be able to fold (as pictured).
- Top each layer of eggs with even amounts of cheese (1 TB for each wrap), tomato chutney or tomatoes (1 TB each), and spinach (about ¼ c. each) - I learned that ending with the spinach makes it easier to fold. Layer in the bacon or prosciutto, if using.
- Roll up burrito-style, being sure to fold in both ends.
- Cook for 1 minute on a panini maker OR wipe out the skillet you cooked the eggs in and cook the wraps in a bit of oil until brown and crisp, turning once.
- Serve right away or let cool and wrap each in a piece of wax paper, then place in a freezer baggie or container to freeze and eat as needed.
- To Cook From Freezer: Remove a wrap from baggie and place, still wrapped in wax paper, in a microwave. Cook on high for 1 minute. Unwrap and eat as is OR place wrap in a toaster oven and toast for another minute to crisp up before eating.
Be sure to check out my #hotforbreakfast partners and their amazing recipes: