Refreshing, quick, and easy this tuna and tomato salad flavored with greek olives and feta is a wonderful warm weather dinner or easy lunch.
This Greek style tuna and tomato salad recipe - full of kalamata olives, fresh tomatoes, tuna, garbanzo beans, feta, and a red wine vinaigrette - is about as easy and flavorful as you can get.
And when we have heirloom tomatoes coming in from the garden this salad makes appearances on both dinner and lunch menus. It's a great way to highlight the wonderful tomato flavor that you can only get in season.
It's in a steady rotation on our menus, though, even with any old tomatoes because something this good and easy to make needs to happen regularly. Plus it's a unique and delicious way to use the inexpensive pantry staple: canned tuna.
Greek Tuna and Tomato Salad
- feta cheese
- Kalamata olives
- canned albacore tuna
- cooked garbanzo beans
- parsley, oregano, salt, pepper
- homemade vinaigrette- oil, red wine vinegar, balsamic vinegar, garlic
I love recipes like this as a great way to use beans we've cooked and frozen (you have done that, right?).
And I mentioned easy? Here's how to make this salad:
- Cut everything up and toss it into a bowl.
- Add the vinaigrette.
- Set it on a bed of lettuce.
Yep, that's it- you've gotta love recipes like this!
When I serve this for dinner (often for company in the summer) I'll make a loaf of easy artisan bread to go along with it to sop up all the lovely juices. It's almost a perfect combo in my book (unless it's easy artisan sourdough bread - how to choose?).
Another way we like to have this salad is inside pita bread - just cut them in half, open the pockets and fill with the tuna and tomato salad. You can line the pocket with a lettuce leaf if you'd like.
This quick recipe is fresh and filling at the same time. I'm happy to eat it for lunches, too, and it makes some of the best leftovers around.
Greek Tuna And Tomato Salad
- 6 large tomatoes cored and cut into large chunks or wedges
- 1 small onion chopped (preferably red or sweet, but any will do)
- 4 ounces feta cheese crumbled
- 20 Kalamata olives quartered
- 2 6- ounce cans tuna drained
- 1 ½ cups cooked garbanzo beans or one 14-ounce can
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon Kosher salt or to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper coarsely ground pepper or to taste
- lettuce for serving optional
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1/4 cup red wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- Place the salad ingredients in a large bowl (tomatoes through black pepper).
- Make the dressing: Whisk the oil, vinegars, and garlic together in a small measuring cup and then pour over the ingredients in the bowl.
- Gently toss the salad and dressing together.
- Serve on top of lettuce, if desired. It's also nice served inside pita bread.
Other healthy easy salads to try:
- Carrot Salad with Feta & Olives
- Healthy Sesame Kale Salad Recipe
- Asian Asparagus Noodle Salad- Easy 15 Minute Recipe
- Tex-Mex Salad with Ranch-Style Beans & Homemade Dressing
This recipe has been updated - it was originally published in October of 2010.