This Greek style tuna and tomato salad full of kalamata olives, fresh tomatoes, tuna, garbanzo beans, feta and a red wine vinaigrette is about as easy and flavorful as you can get. And when we have heirloom tomatoes coming in from the garden this salad makes appearances on both dinner and lunch menus. It’s in a steady rotation, though, even with any old tomatoes because something this good and easy to make needs to happen regularly.
When I serve this for dinner (often for company in the summer) I’ll make a loaf of easy artisan bread to go along with it and sop up all the lovely juices, which I think this makes a fine meal. It’s really fresh and filling at the same time. I’m happy to eat it as-is for lunches, too, and it makes some of the best leftovers around.
It’s also a great way to use beans you’ve cooked and frozen (you have done that, right?). And I mentioned easy? Here’s how to make this salad: cut everything up and toss it into a bowl and add the vinaigrette and set on a bed of lettuce. Yep, that’s it- you’ve gotta love recipes like this!
Greek Tuna And Tomato Salad
- 6 large tomatoes cored and cut into large chunks or wedges
- 1 small onion chopped (preferably red or sweet, but any will do)
- 4 ounces feta cheese crumbled
- 20 Kalamata olives quartered
- 2 6- ounce cans tuna drained
- 1 ½ cups cooked garbanzo beans or one 14-ounce can
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon Kosher salt or to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper coarsely ground pepper or to taste
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1/4 cup red wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- lettuce for serving optional
- Place the salad ingredients in a large bowl (tomatoes through black pepper).
- Make the dressing: Whisk the oil, vinegars, and garlic together in a small measuring cup and then pour over the ingredients in the bowl.
- Gently toss the salad together.
- Serve on top of lettuce, if desired.
This is linked to:
Real Food Wednesday
Recipe Swap @ LifeasMOM
Subscribe to Organize, Plan, Cook & Beautify Your Home with Free Printables