Sriracha honey nut mix is spicy, lightly sweetened and protein rich healthy snack that takes just minutes to make. Perfect for game day, road trips, hikes, camping, or any day you need a tasty snack! For more healthy ideas, check out the Quick Healthy Recipes page.
Oh my gosh, am I excited to share this nut mix recipe with you! You all may know that we like things a bit spicy in our house, so Sriracha is a part of our hot sauce selection and finds its way in many of our recipes, like this super simple grilled chicken marinade or these healthy beef and vegetable bowls. So adding it to nuts and sesame sticks? Um, yes!
Now, I love snack mixes (in moderation, of course) but I always find that most of the recipes call for a lot of carb-y (yep, just made that up…) ingredients like cereals and pretzels. While they may be fun to eat, they end up not being very filling – or very healthy for my weight maintaining goals of less, but higher nutrient-dense foods.
Sriracha Honey Nut Mix
If you’ve read my weight loss story, you know that nuts are my go-to every day snack since I can eat just a few of them and be satisfied until the next meal (usually eaten along with tea – drinking fills you up too!).
So when I wanted to make a slightly more fun, but still healthy snack to have while watching our favorite football teams – both NFL and our beloved Oregon Ducks – I started with good old nuts. But then I added our favorite spicy Sriracha sauce, and made my family happy with just a little carb in the form of Trader Joe’s sesame sticks.
Have you tried these? Goodness, they are good! The sesame sticks provide the crunch that makes snack mixes fun and I like that they have just a few normal ingredients (and sesame seeds have a lot going for them, nutrition-wise).
They aren’t a staple in our house – more of a special occasion buy – but they do add a nice change in recipes like this. You can leave them out – I like this spicy-sweet coating just as well on just nuts, too, so it’s up to you. You can go nuts all the way.
I’m not gonna lie here – the only problem with this nut mix is that it’s hard to stop eating! Not so good for the moderation thing, right?
Which is why it’s a good idea to have small containers, either little bowls or simple paper cones like I made that can just be recycled. Then, store this away out of sight if you have leftovers or want to save it for trips, hikes, and camping.
Note: To make the cones, use regular 8-1/2 x 11 colored paper and cut it into a square by cutting off the longer end and then roll it up and seal it with washi tape. Line the cones with waxed paper since if you’re not sure about the nuts next to non-food-grade paper.
Everyone who tries this Sriracha honey nut mix has LOVED it- and most can’t stop eating it, either, so whatever you choose to use, make sure to have the small containers for serving!
Game Day Sriracha-Honey Nut Mix
- 3 cups pecans*
- 3 cups sesame sticks*
- 2 cups mixed nuts*
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 2 to 3 tablespoons Sriracha sauce or more to taste**
- 1 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon granulated garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt or to taste to taste
- Preheat oven to 325°. Combine nuts, and any other snack items you choose in a large bowl.
- Heat butter and remaining ingredients in a small saucepan over medium-low heat until butter is melted (alternately, microwave in a glass container until butter is melted).
- Pour butter mixture over nut mixture, stirring to coat well. Taste to see if you'd like more Sriracha or salt. Spread in an even layer on a lightly greased or parchment-lined cookie sheet.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes, stirring halfway through.
- Remove from oven, sprinkle with a bit of salt if desired, stir and let cool before serving. Store in an airtight container.