Chicken pieces simmer in a savory tomato sauce with bursts of flavor from artichokes, dried tomatoes, and olives in this easy slow cooker meal. Served over a bed of noodles or rice, it satisfies the heartiest of appetites.
I made up this recipe a few years ago by combining a couple of not-quite-right recipes and adding what I had in the pantry. The artichokes and dried tomatoes were SO good together and compliment the chicken well.
I did learn, though, that artichokes should be added in the last 1/2 hour of cooking for most slow cooker recipes – otherwise all that’s left is little shards after hours of cooking.
Slow Cooker Chicken with Artichokes, Tomatoes & Olives
You might know that I love a good slow cooker meal. One of the best things about slow-cookers (oh, I can’t believe they ever went out of fashion- what were we thinking?) is how easy meal prep is, and this recipe is no exception:
- Simply coat the chicken (I usually skin the chicken in slow-cooker recipes because, well…ummm, I just find the skin is often soft and rubbery, but it’s optional) with a flour mixture – see how to cut a whole chicken into pieces for recipes like this if you’re interested.
- Now just start layering the other vegetable ingredients.
- Place the coated chicken on top, cover with sauce and leave it to cook while you go do other things.
Isn’t that great? About 10 minutes of preparation then walk away and leave it to cook, and voila! A wonderful hearty meal awaits you.
I love it.
Slow Cooker Chicken with Artichokes, Dried Tomatoes & Olives
- 2-1/2 to 3 pounds chicken pieces, preferably skinned (you can use any combination of chicken pieces you like)
- 1 tsp. regular, sweet paprika (though you can use smoked or hot – it’s up to you)
- 1/4 c. flour
- 1 tsp. dried basil
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/4 tsp. pepper
- 1/3 c. chopped dried tomatoes
- 1 onion, chopped
- 3-4 cloves garlic, minced
- 3/4 c. chicken broth
- 1/4 c. red wine (or water)
- 1 6-oz can tomato paste
- 1 can quartered artichokes (or frozen)
- 1 can olives
- Cooked noodles or other pasta
- Parmesan & parsley for serving
- Combine the paprika, flour, basil, salt and pepper in a bag or bowl. Add the chicken and toss to coat evenly.
- Place the onion, garlic, and tomatoes in the bottom of a 4 qt. or larger slow cooker.
- Place the coated chicken pieces on top of the vegetables.
- Combine the broth, wine or water, and tomato paste in a 4-cup measure (or bowl with a pour spout) and pour over the top of the chicken and vegetables.
- Cover and cook 5-6 hours on LOW or 2-1/2 to 3 hours on HIGH. Stir in the artichokes and whole olives during the last 30 minutes and turn to HIGH if cooker had been on LOW.
- Serve over noodles and top with grated parmesan and chopped parsley.
Subscribe to Organize, Plan, Cook & Beautify Your Home with Free Printables