This slow cooker pork pork stew with vegetables makes a hearty, easy weeknight meal that deliciously combines comfort food with healthy food.
Want to save this?
Enter your email below and you'll get it straight to your inbox. Plus you'll get easy new recipes, gardening tips & more every week!
Satisfying. Hearty. Real. Easy. Good for you. This recipe for pork stew with lots of vegetables accomplishes all of this - with the easy coming from our kitchen's king of easy: the slow cooker.
And it's my favorite kind of slow cooker recipe - chop, measure, and throw everything into the cooker's bowl.
You could brown the meat and sauté the onions first if you wanted, but I usually never want to be bothered with adding another step, even though I read that it adds more flavor. I think this has plenty of flavor even without it, but you can sure choose to add the browning step if you'd like.
Slow Cooker Pork Stew
Let's talk ingredients.
- White beans- cannellini, navy, or Great Northern, your choice. Use cooked beans- cook them right before assembling the stew or do what I did and defrost some cooked beans from the freezer (you could also use canned, but you'll be paying three times as much...).
- Boneless pork, cut into cubes. Both pork shoulder and sirloin roast work great.
- Onions and carrots, peeled and chopped.
- Garlic, minced - a nice amount.
- Chicken broth, preferably homemade using this easy method, but there are no "real food police," so use store bought if that's what you can do.
- Italian seasoning, plus a bit of pepper and salt (especially if using homemade broth).
- Red wine, any type and just a bit for flavor. Add more broth if you don't do wine, it's no biggie.
Can you already tell how good this is going to be?
Well, let's add lots of fresh greens in the last 30 minutes, how about?
Either chopped kale, chard, or spinach - or all three! - really helps make this a true one-pot dinner.
While you do have to plan for the long cooking time with slow cookers, it's doing all the work for you even while you're away. Isn't it great to know that good food, made from scratch, can be so easy?
Not to mention inexpensive - this whole pot costs just $5 to $7 - and it makes a LOT. Adding this to your dinner rotation is a win-win!
What to serve with slow cooker pork stew:
- Garlic & Sour Cream Mashed Potatoes to serve alongside.
- Easy Artisan Bread Recipe or Easy Sourdough Artisan Bread Recipe (I usually choose either potatoes or bread)
- Cut vegetables with Best Homemade Ranch Dressing & Dip or Homemade Creamy Feta Dip
Slow Cooker Pork & Vegetable Stew
- 4 cups cooked white beans about 1 pound dried beans OR 3 cans
- 2 pounds boneless pork cubed
- 1 onion chopped
- 4 carrots chopped
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 1/4 cup red wine or white wine OR more broth
- 1 teaspoon dried Italian seasoning
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 4 cups chopped kale chard, or spinach
- 1 teaspoon salt* or to taste
- Place beans, pork, onion, carrots, and garlic into the bowl of a large slow cooker.
- Add broth, seasoning, and wine.
- Cover and cook on Low for 8 hours or High for 4 hours.
- Add the chopped greens, stir, cover, and continue cooking for another 30 minutes on High.
- Season with salt to taste.
Love your slow cooker as much as I do? Here are some more recipes:
This recipe has been updated - it was originally published in 2010.
Simple Real Food Dinner Menus + Shopping Lists