I might be drug kicking and screaming into fall, but this simple sheet pan dinner of roasted sausages with peppers and onions sure helps to ease the transition. The colors remind me of fall with the ripe peppers from the garden and it fills the house with a glorious scent. That it only takes a few minutes to toss together and just 30 minutes to cook is one reason you, too, might love this meal, but trust me – it’s all about the flavor. You might never want onions and peppers cooked any other way now. Just saying.’
It’s SO simple to make: turn the oven to 450 degrees and cut some peppers and onions in chunks about the same size for even cooking. This is one of those loose “recipes” where you use the amount that you either have on hand, or need to feed the number of people you’re planning for. For my family of four, I used 4 medium size onions, and about 3 or 4 regular size peppers.
Then just pile the vegetables in the center of a large baking sheet or roasting pan and drizzle with 2 to 3 tablespoons of olive oil. Line the pan with a silicone liner or parchment so none of the good browned vegetables get stuck to the pan – it makes clean-up easier, too. Sprinkle with seasonings like our Pantry Basics Spice Rub. Or use a combo of salt, pepper, garlic, and maybe some Italian herbs like rosemary, thyme, and basil – whatever you’d like.
Mix everything together, spread it out on the baking sheet, and place some uncooked sausages among the vegetables (if using pre-cooked, add them the last 15 minutes of cooking). Then roast it all for about 30 minutes.
The roasted onions and peppers, which have released some amazing juices, are the best topping a hearty toasted bread. Really good, I promise – so you’ll definitely want to serve Easy Artisan Bread with this meal.
- 3 to 4 medium onions
- 3 to 4 sweet red, yellow, or orange bell peppers*
- 2 to 3 Tb. olive oil
- 1-2 garlic cloves, minced
- seasoning of choice:Homemade Spice Rub OR a combination of salt, pepper, & Italian herbs
- 4 to 6 links of uncooked Italian link sausages
- Heat oven to 450 degrees.
- Cut onions and peppers in even-sized chunks.
- Drizzle with olive oil, add garlic and sprinkle with seasoning. Mix well and spread on a large baking pan lined with a silicone liner or parchment.
- Place uncooked sausages among the vegetables (if using pre-cooked sausages, add during last 15 minutes of cooking).
- Roast for 30 minutes or until sausages are completely done and vegetables are browned.