You will love everything about these grilled potato ‘planks’ – how easy they are, how they go with everything, and how crisp and tender they turn out. Check out the Quick Healthy Recipes page for more like this!
This recipe for grilled potato “planks” is one of our family’s favorite ways to eat potatoes in the summer. Slice, season, and throw on the grill with other vegetables and meats and dinner’s done. The potatoes are super flavorful with smokey grill marks and yummy seasoning, perfectly crunchy on the edges with soft centers.
What makes this recipe easier than other grilled potato recipes you may find? The potatoes are sliced fresh and then grilled – that’s it There’s no time-consuming pre-cooking step.
I simply came up with this recipe after deciding to grill potatoes one day – not realizing that if I had taken the time to search for recipes, they would’ve all said I needed to parboil (partially cook) the potatoes first.
Well, they turned out fantastic, are obviously easier, and since I’m all about simple and easy I just keep grilling them this way. So of course I want to share this with you, too! I’m calling them “planks” since this seemed the best way to describe the slices. You can call them slices, just grilled potatoes, or anything you want – just make them, since I know you’ll love this technique, too!
Easy Grilled Potato “Planks”
I find it easiest – and tastiest – to season the potatoes with a simple rub like this Amazing Basic Spice Rub after brushing with olive oil. However, you can season with salt, pepper, garlic powder, onion powder, cayenne or whatever else catches your fancy.
This is my favorite part of any grilled recipe: hand the cookie sheet to the person in charge of grilling, in this case Brian. I just love grilling.
(And yes, it’s August. Yes, he’s wearing a sweatshirt. Yes, the sky is grey and it is sprinkling off and on. Welcome to summertime in Oregon. Last week it was 105 degrees.)
Test the grilling potatoes with a fork for tenderness at the 6 minute mark in the centers to determine doneness.
Unless you are a pro at slicing evenly, the potatoes won’t all be the same thickness so some will be done sooner than others. We simply will move them to the upper warming rack before others. They can keep warm on the rack while any other food finishes cooking (like the onions you see on the right).
Or something like that. This is what Brian told me he did.
I really do like this grilling thing.
There you have it. If you give these a try, you will definitely be making these often. They are crisp on the outside, smooth on the inside and seasoned just right.
And hopefully cooked by someone else. That makes them extra good.
Easy Grilled Potato Planks Recipe
- 1 potato per person red, yellow, brown, or any variety
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 to 3 teaspoons all purpose spice rub or seasonings of choice: salt, pepper, paprika, garlic & onion powders, cayenne, etc.
- Wash and cut the potatoes in about 1/4" slices lengthwise. Try to make the slices all the same width for even cooking.*
- Lay the planks in one layer on a cookie sheet and brush one side with a little olive oil. Sprinkle with seasonings, turn and repeat on the other side with the oil and spices.
- Heat your grill on high.
- Turn the heat to low while adding the potatoes to the grill in a single layer, then turn the heat up, close the lid and grill about 3-5 minutes (or until the potatoes have grill marks). Turn and grill 3-5 more minutes before checking each potato and removing any cooked planks to the warming level.
- Continue cooking until all potato planks are cooked through.
Other grilling recipes you may like:
- Easy Grilled Vegetables – A Perfect Warm Weather Side Dish
- Greek Style Grilled Beef Lettuce Wraps
- Grilled Shrimp and Vegetable Tacos with Chipotle-Yogurt Sauce
- Thai Grilled Pork and Vegetable Salad with Spicy Peanut Dressing
Note: this recipe was originally published in 2009 and has been updated with new photos, formatting, and printable recipe. Enjoy!
Subscribe to Organize, Plan, Cook & Beautify Your Home with Free Printables