These lightly sweetened lemon flaxseed muffins with oat flour and almond meal make a great snack, breakfast addition, or even dessert with a little frosting! If you like these, you'll love the other breads on our Best Bread Recipes page.
Want to save this?
Enter your email below and you'll get it straight to your inbox. Plus you'll get easy new recipes, gardening tips & more every week!
I love exploring different types of recipes, and figuring out breads made with almond meal and gluten-free flours is just one of them. We're not totally gluten and/or grain-free by necessity or choice (still loving our weekly whole wheat sandwich bread and easy artisan bread!), but I'm always looking for healthy options for variety in our diet.
I'm all about eating a lot of different whole foods, but I'm also always looking to increase the protein and vegetables in our daily foods, since it's easy to just go carb-crazy. We regularly enjoy nuts (especially when seasoned like this), granola bites, rustic hummus with vegetables, and chips & salsa for snacking and now we're adding these gluten-free, honey sweetened lemon flaxseed muffins to the mix.
Of course these muffins add a bit of sweetness to breakfast or our afternoon snack with tea, which is nice, of course. But it's actually just a bit of honey - 6 tablespoons in 12 muffins - and then just a brushing of a honey and lemon "glaze." You can leave out the glaze, but it does add such a nice lemony finish, so I'm totally okay with it. And lemon and honey just seem to go together like peanut butter and jelly, don't they?
Even though they contain just oat flour and almond meal, they're still made just like regular wheat muffins and are a quick recipe. Just mix them up, scoop into muffin liners and bake. Within just over a half hour, you can be enjoying warm lemon muffins!
And I just had to show you the muffin texture inside - this really is a great gluten free, higher protein muffin option. In fact, these would also make a fun cupcake with the addition of regular frosting for your gluten-free family members. In fact, if you use this best ever lemon frosting on them, I don't think anyone would miss the regular flour. 🙂
Honey Sweetened Lemon Flaxseed Muffins (Gluten-Free)
- 1 cup oat flour*
- 1 cup almond flour or meal
- 3 tablespoons ground flaxseeds
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3 eggs
- 1 to 2 large lemons zested & juiced (to equal 1 tablespoon zest & 1/3 cup juice)
- 1 teaspoon lemon extract
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla
- 1/4 cup coconut oil or butter
- 6 tablespoons honey
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- Heat oven to 350 and line a 12-cup muffin pan with liners.
- Combine the oat flour, almond meal, flaxseeds, baking powder and salt in a large mixing bowl.
- In a small bowl mix the eggs, 1/3 cup lemon juice, zest, and extracts.
- Melt the coconut oil, remove from heat and mix in the honey until incorporated.
- Pour the egg mixture and coconut-honey mixture into the dry ingredients and mix thoroughly.
- Divided the batter between the prepared muffin cups - they'll be about 3/4 full.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes, until a toothpick inserted in the center of a muffin comes out clean. Let sit in pan 5 minutes and then turn out to a rack to cool.
- While cooling, mix the lemon and honey glaze ingredients together and then brush on the warm muffins. Eat warm or room temperature.
Note: adapted from this recipe.